North • Coding Goddess OF Isfera
ADMINISTRATOR
Praelia • Genderfluid • 19 yrs • Medium

learned magics

89 posts • 0 points
Postlog • Threadlog • Plotter

played by North

01-15-2018, 06:35 AM
Hi guys! As a reminder, Isfera has a 250 wordcount minimum. We understand a lot of people are coming from sites where there's no wordcount minimum, so in an effort to try and be extra understanding we haven't given any penalties or warnings to posts we notice less than 250. However, even with the site just opening we have noticed a considerable amount of people posting less than 250 words, sometimes even considerably less. We want to remind you all that eventually we will start issuing warnings to keep up wordcount.

When creating the site, the staff seriously deliberated this topic. We wanted to steer away from people spreeing posts in order to get upgrades, quests, points, or task rewards. We wanted to focus less on fast-paced spreeing and more on meaningful roleplays. This was also designed to help RPers who cannot be on often to be able to keep up with the site, and not have hundreds of replies to read in order to understand what's going on. We made this rule in an effort to be fair and to promote in-depth roleplay, not to shame on anyone who sprees or writes small posts. We thought 250 was the perfect starting point for those not used to word count minimums, yet high enough to be considered in-depth. This is also why posts garner 3 points instead of just 1.

An advice I like to give is to make threads larger and more meaningful. Have multiple dialogues and goings-on in each reply. If you're struggling with muse, PM Gods of Isfera to start a random event or create something yourself. You are more than welcome to RP any sort of NPC interaction, such as animal/prey/predator events or natural disasters such as avalanches and fires. Make each thread less like a spree and more like a storybook, it'll help make your posts longer! What does your character look like, how do they feel, how do they interpret the environment, their magic? What do they think of the other lions in the area? What are their internal thoughts? Including insight into your character's mind in your post will not only help your partner(s) understand them, but also help you understand and develop your character as well!

If you have any trouble maintaining word count or feel like you will be unable to from now on, please PM Gods of Isfera, or reply to this thread with your ideas and opinions. We will be happy to hear your side!

Fira • OF Isfera
Harenae • Female • 22 • Small

learned magics

2 posts • 0 points

played by Fira

01-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Hello! I just wanted to put in my two cents, as someone who "doesn't believe in word counts." What I have found in my five or so years as a RPer is that, when the word count goes above 200 or so, what ends up happening is that people write fluff into their posts just to get it to the right length. And nobody wants to read fluff. No one wants to read about the weather for an entire paragraph unless it's essential to the thread (like if there's a storm or something). And even reading another character's thoughts on a situation, while interesting, can be difficult. Because we have a "no meta-gaming" rule for a reason, that means that you could write all the private thoughts of your character that you wanted, but that wouldn't give anything at all for your RP partner to reply to because characters can't know what other characters are thinking. Everything your partner replies to has to come from external actions or words, so when a post is mostly fluff just to hit the word count, then the partner's post also has to be mostly fluff. I don't like the feeling of skimming a person's post just to get to the parts of their post I can actually use.

However, I also understand that when there are points and rewards tied to posts, no one wants people to "game the system" by spree-threading three-sentence posts. I don't know what the solution is. I don't know where the happy medium is. I'm also not trying to tell anyone how to run their sites. I can tell you that this is the first site I've ever joined where the word count was above 200 and I'm already struggling with muse/the sheer ability to write 250 words for every reply. I'm not a person whose writing style works with word counts. I tend to write shorter, blunter, more to the point posts, and I don't think that makes me a "bad" RPer.

Anyways, I think I've rambled enough. Again, please understand that I am entirely respectful to the staff of this site, and to their rules, and that I'm not complaining about the word count. I'm just putting in my two cents because word count on RP sites is something I feel very strongly about, since I've seen so many fluff-filled, ramble-y posts on past sites that said absolutely nothing and were just there to hit the word count limit.

Respectfully,
Fira

North • Coding Goddess OF Isfera
ADMINISTRATOR
Praelia • Genderfluid • 19 yrs • Medium

learned magics

89 posts • 0 points

played by North

01-16-2018, 03:56 AM
Thank you for your response, Fira! We really appreciate it. I can probably give a more in depth answer when I’m not moving, but I did want to quickly mention we have a potential solution we implemented early in the site. We do have a freewrite (quick roleplay) board that does not have worcount minimums that can be used for official ic events. We regulate it so that you earn less points-per-post there and cannot use it for magic upgrades. But it’s potentially a solution for the problem if you feel like you cannot reach 250 words?

Another solution, and one that I’ve always personally followed, is having threads be larger impacting with multiple dialogues or things happening at once. I know everyone loves meet-n-greets, I do too. Back when I did super serious wolf roleplay our posts would be 500 words at least, and averaged averaged about 800, but I was only ever in 4-5 threads at a time. Each thread had something meaningful to my charavter, so the writing came naturally. I know it’s not the same for others, and it does not make you any lesser of a writer. You’re totally right—a lot of times, smaller is better!

If you feel like our quick roleplay suggestion is not satisfactory enough, please let us know! Thank you for your candor.

Fira • OF Isfera
Harenae • Female • 22 • Small

learned magics

2 posts • 0 points

played by Fira

01-16-2018, 04:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply! I'll admit I actually completely forgot about the quick roleplays and I do think they're an excellent idea. I'm glad you added them! And, once again, I'd like to say that I respect the staff's word count decision. On a site that has points and upgrades based on posts, word counts make sense as a counter-measure to gaming the system. I just thought I'd voice my opinion simply because it's something I think about a lot while RPing! <3

affiliates & credits